Bring me to your campus! I give talks and facilitate workshops across the country and enjoy working with groups of students, faculty, and staff. My primary areas of expertise and experience are:
- Race, history, diversity and inclusion; Anti-Racism
- Critical and Inclusive Pedagogy in secondary and higher education
- Course (Re)Design and Syllabus workshops
- The Americas in the nineteenth century, particularly the US Civil War and Reconstruction Eras.
- Integrating teaching and technology
- Online teaching and learning
Additionally, I can speak and facilitate sessions on a range of pedagogical topics like course design, flipped learning, teaching with primary sources, and inclusive pedagogy. I’m always excited for opportunities to share experiences and perspectives with colleagues. In the past couple of years, I’ve given talks and workshops at:
- Marian University, Keynote for the annual Tools for Teaching Conference, August 2019
- Luther College, workshops facilitated for faculty, August 2019
- St. Norbert College, workshops facilitated for Inclusive Excellence Faculty Learning Community, May, 2019
- Elizabethtown College, keynote for MLK Week, January 2019
- Columbus State University (Georgia), Backward (Re)design and Inclusive Syllabus workshops, January 2019
- SUNY-Fredonia, keynote and workshop for the 12th annual Teaching & Learning Conference, August 2018
- Oregon State University, e-campus Faculty Forum, May, 2018 (Keynote speaker)
- Des Moines Area Community College, April, 2018
- Southern Oregon University, Social Justice Conference, March 2018 (Keynote speaker and also facilitated workshop)
- Iowa Western Tech Community College, Faculty and Staff Development Day, March 2018 (Keynote speaker and also facilitated workshops)
- The University of Colorado-Boulder, History Department and Graduate Student Association, March, 2018
- The University of Wisconsin-River Falls, February, 2018
- State of Oregon, Diversity and Inclusion Conference, September, 2017
- MacEwan University (Edmonton, AB, Canada), Keynote speaker for Faculty Development Day, August, 2017
- Various Professional Development workshops at individual buildings for Des Moines Public Schools
For queries, scheduling, and rates, please feel free to contact me at 515.263.6102 or firstname.lastname@example.org (references available on request)
Click HERE for my current c.v.
[Photo by Takahiro Omura, Grinnell College Scarlet and Black]
You can hear my conversation on the Teaching in Higher Ed Podcast (August 4, 2016) HERE
On September 26 and 27, 2017, I had the honor of delivering the keynote talk and leading several workshop sessions at the State of Oregon Diversity and Inclusion Conference. Below are the slides I used for each talk; they’re licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 International, so feel free to use and borrow them for any non-commercial purpose.
Keynote Talk: “The Revenge of History: Race and Power in the United States”
Workshop: “Baked into the Cake: Race and Policy in US History”
I appeared in 13th, a Netflix original documentary directed by Ava DuVernay
Democracy Now featured the film, and the issues it poses, on Oct. 3; Malkia Cyril and I were interviewed by Amy Goodman on Oct. 3, 2016.